You are here:

Last reviewed on 11 November 2021
Ref: 12876
School types: All · School phases: Primary

Be clear on who should and shouldn't sit the Key Stage (KS) 2 SATs. If you withdraw pupils, download and adapt our template to help you meet your requirements around informing parents of your decision.

Do all pupils have to take the KS2 tests?

Maintained schools 

The Key Stage (KS) 2 assessment and reporting arrangements (ARA) are statutory for maintained schools, including maintained special schools, with pupils in KS2. 

Your pupils must take the KS2 tests unless certain conditions apply (see the sections below).

Academies (including AP academies and free schools)

If your funding agreement says you will comply with guidance issued by the secretary of state in relation to the assessment of pupils' performance, then your pupils must take the KS2 tests and you must follow the the statutory requirements sets out in the ARA (linked above).


Pupils who aren't registered at a maintained

More from The Key


Bitesize training with a big impact

Our on-demand training has your whole board covered and lets them learn at a time and pace that suits them.

Help your new governors hit the ground running with our expertly-designed induction training, and our role-specific courses support your link governors develop key skills and confidence in their role.


New eLearning: DSL refresher training

Your DSL’s training should be refreshed at least once every 2 years. 

Designed in collaboration with safeguarding experts, our 2.5 hour online refresher training course reminds DSLs how to put their knowledge into practice, with in-depth, real-world scenarios.


The Key has taken great care in publishing this article. However, some of the article's content and information may come from or link to third party sources whose quality, relevance, accuracy, completeness, currency and reliability we do not guarantee. Accordingly, we will not be held liable for any use of or reliance placed on this article's content or the links or downloads it provides. This article may contain information sourced from public sector bodies and licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.