Free school meals (FSM): who's eligible?
Find out the eligibility criteria for free school meals (FSM), and learn about the transitional protections in place during the Universal Credit rollout period.
- Eligibility criteria
- Transitional protections during Universal Credit rollout
- Eligible nursery pupils can receive FSM
- FSM for eligible post-16 students
- Looked after children are not eligible for FSM
- Adopted pupils aren't automatically eligible
- FSM for children of asylum seekers
- How to check eligibility
A child may be eligible for free school meals (FSM) if their parents receive any of the following benefits:
Children may also get FSM if they receive any of these benefits directly, instead of