You are here:

  • Checks for agency staff Understand which checks you must carry out on agency staff such as supply teachers. Find out whether you need to get DBS certificates and what to record on the SCR, and download a template form to record written confirmation of checks.
  • Checks for new school staff and governors Use our list of required checks for new staff, volunteers and governors to stay compliant with the latest statutory safeguarding guidance.
  • Checks for staff who have lived or worked overseas You must make 'appropriate' further checks on staff who have lived or worked outside the UK. Find guidance on what these 'appropriate' checks might be, and how to carry them out.
  • Checks on teachers' qualifications You must check qualifications for new teachers. Read about how to carry out these checks.
  • Job offer letter: template Download our template job offer letter to save yourself some time and make sure you're including the right information. You'll also find more information on written statements of terms and conditions of employment.
  • Medical checks for new school staff You need to verify an applicant's mental and physical fitness for the role before appointing them. Read the rules around how to do this and avoid leaving yourself open to discrimination claims.
  • Missing references for school staff Find out what to do when you don't have records of references for staff on the single central record (SCR), including cases involving long-standing members of staff.
  • Prohibition from teaching checks You have to carry out a prohibition check on all teachers and support staff who will do 'teaching work'. Understand what counts as 'teaching work' and how to do the check.
  • Right to work checks Find out how to carry out these required pre-employment checks to verify a person's right to work in the UK.